I squeezed in a quick up cycle on my last day before returning to work after an enjoyable & productive summer break. I turned the Beauty’s ratty old goth style footstool into a tempting tactile toadstool. What’s more, I didn’t spend a penny, since the big clear out I am trying hard to use what I have.
The footstool started life as a black goth-emo style footstool holding Kerang magazine later to be replaced by vogue mags. Either way it’s services were no longer required by the Beauty. I made her a nifty bespoke bed pocket specifically to meet her needs as a trade off. I think Her Bagesty was a bit miffed as she occasionally lounges on there when addressing her humble followers. (She left a collection of cat hairs for me to remove too.)
I eagerly fished out my tool kit ( a bradawl, a staple remover & a screw driver) and removed the dark cloak of miserable mystery.
Next, my trusty chalk pain earnt its keep once again – such good value, it’s everlasting! I didn’t use the lilac/pink paint (as seen on the Sewing Throne & Bubble Quilt Chair) as I wanted some contrast so mixed a dash of white with duck egg blue for a pale aqua colour.
I found some pink & blue polka dot fabric in my stash that sort of reminded me of Dolly Mixtures. Very appropriate, turn this festering footstool into a fairy chair with sweetie style fabric! I also carved up an old linen dress that I no longer wear to use for the sides and the everlasting lilac fleece that i used to plump up Matilda for padding.
I made four strips of each fabric sandwiching the fleece in between, wrong sides together. I ‘weaved’ the fabric strips like a basket (after I had turned it out & pressed it) then added a bit of machine stitching wizardry.
I ran a border of stitching around the perimeter, keeping it all in place with bull-dog clips, pin or tack before sewing. Or risk your needles and eyes & keep the clips in, no seriously don’t they would wiggle about anyway.
The side panels were also embroidered, after sandwiching fleece between each of the four pieces. I used this bit as an opportunity to create a sampler, the stool will live in my sewing Lofthouse so I have a handy stitch reference.
I used the base piece of wood as a template to make a backing for the basket weave top and basted it to it. I then joined the four side panels at the short seams, making a rectangle without a top or bottom. The rectangle & top piece were joined in one continuous sew, pivoting at the corners. I reinforced the edge with interfacing added elastic around the bottom, stretching it as I sewed.
Next, pull it over the foam & wooden base, screw the legs on catching the corners tugging it into shape. You could staple or use upholstery tacks but as its pastel shades I wanted mine to be removable for washing.
Trim, snip, press & finish seams as you go using your preferred method, I am still punishing Mr Grey (my overlocker), I dusted his cover yesterday!
Ta Da, an enchanted, enticing perch perfect for pondering!
I have a largish wooden storage box to apply my wizardry to next, I will use the basket weaving quilting technique again on it.